• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Prochot 95c turning red even though temperatures are not even close at around 50-65C?

ezhang43

Hello! I am wondering why my prochot 95c indicator always goes red even though my temperatures don't seem to reach that high? Does the red indicator being triggered mean that my CPU is being throttled? It comes up even just resting and using a web browser, and not anything intensive like playing games.

FYI: I have an asus rog zephyrus g16 (2024) laptop with a 4070 graphics card and core ultra 9 185H cpu processor.

I've posted a screenshot and some of my log files below. Thank you in advance!

1715750128889.png

1715750304041.png

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
core ultra 9 185H
ThrottleStop 9.6 has never been tested in Windows 11 or on any Core Ultra CPU. I do not know what ThrottleStop features work correctly when running ThrottleStop on a Core Ultra CPU.

The Performance Core Base Frequency for a 185H when Turbo Boost is disabled should be approximately 2.3 GHz. Your CPU is running a little slower than that in the log file so it might be thermal throttling a little.

You are not the first person to report PROCHOT lighting up red when it does not appear that it should be. There are multiple temperature sensors within the CPU package. It is possible that one of these sensors and not one of the individual core temperature sensors is triggering PROCHOT. This could be a bug at the CPU level. Are you using the latest available BIOS version? Perhaps Intel changed something and this feature no longer works correctly in ThrottleStop 9.6.

Your ThrottleStop settings make it difficult to confirm if PROCHOT lighting up red is throttling your CPU. Checking the Disable Turbo box and setting Speed Shift EPP to 64 is probably causing most of the throttling that I see.

Recent Intel CPUs might choose to ignore the Speed Shift EPP value that you entered into ThrottleStop. Try setting Speed Shift EPP to 0 and clear the Disable Turbo box. Run something consistent like Cinebench. You will likely see either power limit throttling or thermal throttling during this test. Turn on the Log File option when testing and upload the log file as a .txt file so I can scroll through and analyze the data. You can also run a log file while playing a game for at least 15 minutes.

ezhang43

ThrottleStop 9.6 has never been tested in Windows 11 or on any Core Ultra CPU. I do not know what ThrottleStop features work correctly when running ThrottleStop on a Core Ultra CPU.

The Performance Core Base Frequency for a 185H when Turbo Boost is disabled should be approximately 2.3 GHz. Your CPU is running a little slower than that in the log file so it might be thermal throttling a little.

You are not the first person to report PROCHOT lighting up red when it does not appear that it should be. There are multiple temperature sensors within the CPU package. It is possible that one of these sensors and not one of the individual core temperature sensors is triggering PROCHOT. This could be a bug at the CPU level. Are you using the latest available BIOS version? Perhaps Intel changed something and this feature no longer works correctly in ThrottleStop 9.6.

Your ThrottleStop settings make it difficult to confirm if PROCHOT lighting up red is throttling your CPU. Checking the Disable Turbo box and setting Speed Shift EPP to 64 is probably causing most of the throttling that I see.

Recent Intel CPUs might choose to ignore the Speed Shift EPP value that you entered into ThrottleStop. Try setting Speed Shift EPP to 0 and clear the Disable Turbo box. Run something consistent like Cinebench. You will likely see either power limit throttling or thermal throttling during this test. Turn on the Log File option when testing and upload the log file as a .txt file so I can scroll through and analyze the data. You can also run a log file while playing a game for at least 15 minutes.
Thank you very much for the reply!

I didn't realize that throttlestop was not tested for windows 11.

I am indeed using the latest BIOS version, but perhaps it is as you mentioned that this feature doesn't work properly in intel's newest processors/windows 11.

I checked the disable turbo box and set speed shift to 64 because I don't need that much performance, and am more worried about temperatures and longevity of my laptop. I don't mind throttling my laptop, but I was just wondering whether or not the temperatures are actually getting that high and throttling it because of that.

Surprisingly, the issue seems to have mysteriously gone away, and I'm not sure why.

But here is another snapshot when I'm just browsing the web (with GPU turned on even for web browsing)

1715882604456.png

And here it is for when I'm gaming

1715882661655.png

Appreciate all the help!

FYI: I have an asus rog zephyrus g16 (2024) laptop with a 4070 graphics card and core ultra 9 185H cpu processor.
Unfortunately this laptop has overwhelming throttling according to some true testings. Yet, a upper modifications with 4080 and 4090 have vapour chamber that can improve things a bit, although i doubt that.

This a screenshot from AIDA64 of whole test of model Asus Zephyrus G16 4060 which is almost the same as yours. It seems this laptop has been engeneered like that in the first place. It is fair to presume, it will always be throttling out of the blue.

asus_zephyrus_g16_4060.jpg

You may watch full video if you like, just turn on english subs there.

Last edited: