• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Intel's Lunar Lake Processors Arriving Q3 2024

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
Starting Q3 2024 in time for the holiday season, Intel's upcoming client processors (code-named Lunar Lake) will power more than 80 new laptop designs across more than 20 original equipment manufacturers, delivering AI performance at a global scale for Copilot+ PCs. Lunar Lake will get the Copilot+ experiences, like Recall, via an update when available. Building on the success of Intel Core Ultra processors and with the addition of Lunar Lake, Intel will ship more than 40 million AI PC processors this year.

"With breakthrough power efficiency, the trusted compatibility of x86 architecture and the industry's deepest catalog of software enablement across the CPU, GPU and NPU, we will deliver the most competitive joint client hardware and software offering in our history with Lunar Lake and Copilot+," said Michelle Johnston Holthaus, Intel executive vice president and general manager of the Client Computing Group.

What the AI PC is: An AI PC has a central processing unit (CPU), a graphic processing unit (GPU) and a neural processing unit (NPU), each with specific AI acceleration capabilities. An NPU is a specialized accelerator that efficiently handles AI and machine learning (ML) tasks right on your PC instead of sending data to be processed in the cloud. The AI PC is increasingly important as the need to automate, streamline and optimize tasks on the PC grows.

Why It Matters: Lunar Lake is expected to be a groundbreaking mobile processor for AI PCs with more than 3 times the AI performance compared with the previous generation. With more than 40 NPU tera operations per second (TOPS), Intel's next generation processors will provide the capabilities necessary for Copilot+ experiences coming to market. In addition to the higher performing NPU, Lunar Lake will also be equipped with over 60 GPU TOPS delivering more than 100 platform TOPS.

"The launch of Lunar Lake will bring meaningful fundamental improvements across security, battery life, and more thanks to our deep co-engineering partnership with Intel. We are excited to see Lunar Lake come to market with a 40+ TOPS NPU which will deliver Microsoft's Copilot+ experiences at scale when available," said Pavan Davuluri, corporate vice president of Windows + Devices at Microsoft.

A holistic approach to AI requires a robust software enablement infrastructure alongside hardware innovation. As part of the AI PC Acceleration Program, Intel is working with more than 100 independent software vendors to enhance AI PC experiences for personal assistants, audio effects, content creation, gaming, security, streaming, video collaboration and others.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
For a minute I was worried AI wasn’t going to be featured, but fortunately it was mentioned 12 times in the PR. Whew.

System Name Yes, I like AMD
Processor Ryzen 5 7600X
Motherboard MSI Pro B650-S Wifi
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE
Memory Lexar Thor 32GiB DDR5-5600 CL36
Video Card(s) Biostar AMD Radeon RX 580
Storage Micron Crucial P3 Plus 1TB
Case Zalman S2
Power Supply Thermalright Toughpower GF1 850W
For a minute I was worried AI wasn’t going to be featured, but fortunately it was mentioned 12 times in the PR. Whew.
Yeah, I wouldn't dream of buying a new pc without AI acceleration. Whatever would I do without CoPilot and ChatRTX?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
I am curious if we’ll see game engines use NPUs? Like if it would make for smarter enemies or generative dialog or something. Then we can get into ST:TNG holodeck situations where our ai enemies get the upper hand.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Yeah, I wouldn't dream of buying a new pc without AI acceleration. Whatever would I do without CoPilot and ChatRTX?
Without AI acceleration how is Microsoft supposed to predict how to sell your pc usage habits to advertisers? Just kidding but seriously I have some concerns about what exactly this consumer grade AI is going to be used for doesn't matter AMD or Intel. I would start looking at EULA's and see if they start incorporating language that specifies the use of your PC AI capabilities in data collection.

Without AI acceleration how is Microsoft supposed to predict how to sell your pc usage habits to advertisers? Just kidding but seriously I have some concerns about what exactly this consumer grade AI is going to be used for doesn't matter AMD or Intel. I would start looking at EULA's and see if they start incorporating language that specifies the use of your PC AI capabilities in data collection.
it's a chunk of silicon that can bleed some heat away from the rest of the chip

In the current EULA you must agree for your data to be collected. They don't need to specify if they will use AI or nit to do that. They may use IT to fight against addblockers.

The AI nonsense is meaningless at the consumer level still, but it does sound like Lunar Lake should be a solid (and long overdue) jump foward in performance per watt for Intel.

System Name Custom
Processor i9 9900k
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 arous master
Cooling corsair h150i
Memory 4x8 3200mhz corsair
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 EX Gamer White OC
Storage 500gb Samsung 970 Evo PLus
Display(s) MSi MAG341CQ
Case Lian Li Pc-011 Dynamic
Audio Device(s) Arctis Pro Wireless
Power Supply 850w Seasonic Focus Platinum
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Logitech G110
Wow I thought it be around Q4 for lunar lake to be release… I guess intel doesn’t want AMD to be in the lead for sales too long

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
I am curious if we’ll see game engines use NPUs? Like if it would make for smarter enemies or generative dialog or something. Then we can get into ST:TNG holodeck situations where our ai enemies get the upper hand.
No. Large scale models use far more processing power then these NPUs can provide. And given how easily these AI hallucinate and say naughty things, imagine the scandals!

The AI will be used to more efficiently scrape all your data to sell to everyone else. Ont he side it may be used to enforce draconian controls on your PC or monitor your behavior to see if you are NAUGHTY and should have your accounts banned.

I wonder if Lunar lake will be totally eclipsed by Strix?

Look I would love to see Intel actually deliver on hype for once, but Meteor Lake is an embarrassing let-down from the promises, so I will not be holding my breath.

This whole copilot+ stuff though is the beginning of the end for M$. Rendering brand new hardware essentially obsolete, recording everything you do and storing it, this is pure effing madness for what is total useless AI BS.

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
No. Large scale models use far more processing power then these NPUs can provide. And given how easily these AI hallucinate and say naughty things, imagine the scandals!

The AI will be used to more efficiently scrape all your data to sell to everyone else. Ont he side it may be used to enforce draconian controls on your PC or monitor your behavior to see if you are NAUGHTY and should have your accounts banned.
Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. First get the old hardware retired. It's the only way.
I wonder if Lunar lake will be totally eclipsed by Strix?

Look I would love to see Intel actually deliver on hype for once, but Meteor Lake is an embarrassing let-down from the promises, so I will not be holding my breath.

This whole copilot+ stuff though is the beginning of the end for M$. Rendering brand new hardware essentially obsolete, recording everything you do and storing it, this is pure effing madness for what is total useless AI BS.
I guess I really lack imagination for what AI can do for me. I don't sit here at my PC feeling like it's lacking, but I'm probably just too old. It's not as if the internet in its current state isn't a giant fantasy land already. I feel like there's a tipping point before we're really lost as a species. Most people can't even put down their phone long enough to drive to work anymore, much less think critically and rationally and to respond with civility on anything complex. There's some serious technologically-induced impairment going on, IMO.

Yeah, I wouldn't be surprised. First get the old hardware retired. It's the only way.

I guess I really lack imagination for what AI can do for me. I don't sit here at my PC feeling like it's lacking, but I'm probably just too old. It's not as if the internet in its current state isn't a giant fantasy land already. I feel like there's a tipping point before we're really lost as a species. Most people can't even put down their phone long enough to drive to work anymore, much less think critically and rationally and to respond with civility on anything complex. There's some serious technologically-induced impairment going on, IMO.
Don't get me wrong, there is useful AI stuff happening in the world, but it has nothing to do with M$'s braindead copilot fluff. I do heavy photo processing and Topaz software leverages AI and greater AI performance would help it a lot, but it can leverage the AI smarts of a gpu and/or cpu, no need for a NPU, but I'm sure that would help greatly as the software evolves with hardware capability.

Imagine buying a laptop with Meteor Lake or Hawk Point and finding it can't run Windows 11 24H2 in a few months. Total BS.

I have a really bad feeling about this push in marketing "AI" functions of all those processors with iGPU or dedicated "neural accelerators".

Those weak pieces of hardware can hardly be capable of anything people will be excited about - right now they're bussy renaming anything that could be accelerated with CUDA, GPU into "AI". But this won't be enough.

So I predict two things will happen:

1. They will tie sone basic functionality of Windows, like making "AI explorer search", and by using older CPU you will be constantly reminded you're missing core functions.

2. They will tie AI functions into using "server and client" AI hardware, so even things that run solely on the server side will require the client side of hardware acceleration. Want to use the newest AI chat? Generate an image? Use AI assisted NPC in games? Too bad, you have one of those dinosaur, AI incapable computers, buy a new one!

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Case Antec P7 Neo
Don't get me wrong, there is useful AI stuff happening in the world, but it has nothing to do with M$'s braindead copilot fluff. I do heavy photo processing and Topaz software leverages AI and greater AI performance would help it a lot, but it can leverage the AI smarts of a gpu and/or cpu, no need for a NPU, but I'm sure that would help greatly as the software evolves with hardware capability.

Imagine buying a laptop with Meteor Lake or Hawk Point and finding it can't run Windows 11 24H2 in a few months. Total BS.
From what I gather, Copilot+ will eventually end up on x86 PCs that have an NPU as well, but MS, in all its wisdom, forked Windows for the Qualcomm launch. 16GB of RAM is apparently also a requirement, so that will be fun for all those soldered 8GB laptops owners out there who otherwise cleared the random hurdles for Windows 11.

Processor 13700KF Undervolted @ 5.6/ 5.5, 4.8Ghz Ring 200W PL1
Motherboard MSI 690-I PRO
Cooling Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 w/ Arctic P12 Fans
Memory 48 GB DDR5 7600 MHZ CL36
Video Card(s) RTX 4090 FE
Storage 2x 2TB WDC SN850, 1TB Samsung 960 prr
Display(s) Alienware 32" 4k 240hz OLED
Case SLIGER S620
Audio Device(s) Yes
Power Supply Corsair SF750
Mouse Xlite V2
Keyboard RoyalAxe
Software Windows 11
Benchmark Scores They're pretty good, nothing crazy.
I have a really bad feeling about this push in marketing "AI" functions of all those processors with iGPU or dedicated "neural accelerators".

Those weak pieces of hardware can hardly be capable of anything people will be excited about - right now they're bussy renaming anything that could be accelerated with CUDA, GPU into "AI". But this won't be enough.

So I predict two things will happen:

1. They will tie sone basic functionality of Windows, like making "AI explorer search", and by using older CPU you will be constantly reminded you're missing core functions.

2. They will tie AI functions into using "server and client" AI hardware, so even things that run solely on the server side will require the client side of hardware acceleration. Want to use the newest AI chat? Generate an image? Use AI assisted NPC in games? Too bad, you have one of those dinosaur, AI incapable computers, buy a new one!

I think they don't need much power to be able to watch your screen and record things in case you "forget" something. You're right on with these imo - I think alot of these local AIs will exist as closed box service layers above the OS/kernel to do extremely basic tasks and security, marketing, search, and of course, phone home...

A 750ti gpu is matching the most powerful NPU for any TOPS so I cant imagine anyone needing real inference computation is going to be using this.

Look I would love to see Intel actually deliver on hype for once,
But the hype is only about AI and its TOPS. But there is no hype about generic performance uplift.
Also I wonder if this CPU (compute tile) will be manufactured at Intel or TSMC foundries. I guess all the tiles will be from TSMC.

I think they don't need much power to be able to watch your screen and record things in case you "forget" something. You're right on with these imo - I think alot of these local AIs will exist as closed box service layers above the OS/kernel to do extremely basic tasks and security, marketing, search, and of course, phone home...

A 750ti gpu is matching the most powerful NPU for any TOPS so I cant imagine anyone needing real inference computation is going to be using this.

Curious as to where you got the 750ti TOPS numbers… but ofc a dGPU is going to perform better than anything integrated. That’s not news. Where these NPUs shine is in cost, size, and power consumption… just like iGPUs.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys