• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

RTX 2070 8GB unable to flash

finnickabrenica09

Recently, I bought an old MSI RTX 2070 TRI FROZR 8G graphics card from a flea market site. Long story short, I bought from a shady seller. Like it's a burner account with only one item and no history of sold items. Shortly after, I put the graphics card in, and it didn't boot. That lead me to buy a "junk" graphics card from a thrift store. I put that junk card in and that booted up with no problem. I placed the junk card in slot 1 and the RTX in slot 3. Booting up, I confirmed that the card was indeed working (like what in the description of the seller but vague) though it has a bad vbios flashed in. Device Manager can see it, albeit not functional with a triangle icon. Then, I looked for the correct bios that was flashed originally, but there's no sticker on the card of what bios it had. MSI have lots of flavor for one type of card. I looked for the series on the box. I finally found the card's other nickname (mine's a Duke OC). Tried to flash it with latest nvflash. It gives an error of "Falcon reset control is disallowed (PLM: 0x000000EF)". Plus, the card's name is "[00] Graphics device" if I ran nvflash --list or -a in different version. I tried different variations of nvflash. OMGVflash, nvflashk, patched, older version, DOS, in Safe Mode, disabled in Device Manager to name a few. I had experiences of reflashing an OCed graphics card (context: I repair computers in the past before I moved to Japan). But I never had an RTX that gives me a headache, until now. Can anyone help me? Heads up, external flashing with a USB programmer is not possible. The BIOS is soldered well and I don't have a rework station. I can no longer send the card back, either.

EDIT: I bought another RTX 2070 of the same specs. And I have decided to buy a CH341A programmer, instead. But it will be delivered in 2 weeks. At least I can finally game and edit videos while waiting for the programmer.

Last edited: