• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

NVIDIA Blackwell GB200 Superchip to Cost up to 70,000 US Dollars

When there exist idiots willing to pay nvidiots such sums of money to run their automatic idiots, no wonder. A whole lotta idiotism going on...
lol do you know the news is about business, where money is invested in high-end tech only if it will make more money, right? You don't invest 3kk in a server if there's no projection on returns. But yeah.. idiots...

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Most of the recent increase in the SP500 has been driven by a few AI companies while the rest of the stock market has barely recovered since 2022. It's obvious we're nearing some kind of peak, Nvidia is just trying to profit from all this but for everyone else I wonder if they really think it's a good idea to be spending close to six figures per ML accelerator node at this point in time.

You have all of this talk of AI replacing jobs but it seems that just the cost of hardware alone has ballooned to such a comical extent it may soon be cheaper to employee people instead.
It really depends on what you do with these accelerators. If you can cut 1-2 jobs, you will make the asking price back in under a year. If you cut 0 jobs, but you get one of these doing the same job that was previously done by 2-3 accelerators, you will still make your money back on electricity and server space savings in time.

People need to understand that the laws of the market for these are completely different from the laws of the consumer market.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Most of the recent increase in the SP500 has been driven by a few AI companies while the rest of the stock market has barely recovered since 2022. It's obvious we're nearing some kind of peak, Nvidia is just trying to profit from all this but for everyone else I wonder if they really think it's a good idea to be spending close to six figures per ML accelerator node at this point in time.

You have all of this talk of AI replacing jobs but it seems that just the cost of hardware alone has ballooned to such a comical extent it may soon be cheaper to employee people instead.
AI ain't replacing shit

If it serves a purpose it will add jobs.

It really depends on what you do with these accelerators. If you can cut 1-2 jobs, you will make the asking price back in under a year. If you cut 0 jobs, but you get one of these doing the same job that was previously done by 2-3 accelerators, you will still make your money back on electricity and server space savings in time.

People need to understand that the laws of the market for these are completely different from the laws of the consumer market.
Theoretically yes. And yet, people still have jobs. Unemployment can always be brought down, especially and even in high income sectors. You can indeed cut jobs, and then you'll find them growing on another end of the business again, and you're screwed if you ignore that. For example, look at everything fintech. Now we haven't got banking around the corner IRL anymore, but we have towers full of idiots watching money go across the globe. Internet banking, sure, saved a lot of jobs, and then required a slew of new ones to keep it secure and up to date. And on top of internet banking spawned a whole new world of fintech apps, plus crypto. The trust in the digital transaction made that all possible (which in the case of crypto is unbelievable irony).

lol do you know the news is about business, where money is invested in high-end tech only if it will make more money, right? You don't invest 3kk in a server if there's no projection on returns. But yeah.. idiots...

Mhm.
Or are you saying AI is bigger than this ;)

"can be seen as similar to a number of other technology-inspired booms of the past, including railroads in the 1840s, automobiles in the early 20th century, radio in the 1920s, television in the 1940s, transistor electronics in the 1950s, computer time-sharing in the 1960s, and home computers and biotechnology in the 1980s"

Gosh its almost like every economical uptake or big invention, where there is a lot of free money, has its own little bubble doesn't it...

Last edited:

bug

Processor Intel i5-12600k
Motherboard Asus H670 TUF
Cooling Arctic Freezer 34
Memory 2x16GB DDR4 3600 G.Skill Ripjaws V
Video Card(s) EVGA GTX 1060 SC
Storage 500GB Samsung 970 EVO, 500GB Samsung 850 EVO, 1TB Crucial MX300 and 2TB Crucial MX500
Display(s) Dell U3219Q + HP ZR24w
Case Raijintek Thetis
Audio Device(s) Audioquest Dragonfly Red :D
Power Supply Seasonic 620W M12
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Core
Keyboard G.Skill KM780R
Software Arch Linux + Win10
Theoretically yes. And yet, people still have jobs. Unemployment can always be brought down, especially and even in high income sectors. You can indeed cut jobs, and then you'll find them growing on another end of the business again, and you're screwed if you ignore that. For example, look at everything fintech. Now we haven't got banking around the corner IRL anymore, but we have towers full of idiots watching money go across the globe. Internet banking, sure, saved a lot of jobs, and then required a slew of new ones to keep it secure and up to date. And on top of internet banking spawned a whole new world of fintech apps, plus crypto. The trust in the digital transaction made that all possible (which in the case of crypto is unbelievable irony).
I mean, if you were paying a bunch of software developers to write software to generate some reports, paying other people to look at the reports looking for some patterns that would result in some business decisions, you can now have a smaller team training a model, the model would look for patterns on its own and then you just pay a few more people to validate the results. Look at UiPath, they grew a unicorn automating other people's stuff, before the advent of AI.
Like I said, most of what the AI does today has relatively low usefulness. But that will change in the future.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I mean, if you were paying a bunch of software developers to write software to generate some reports, paying other people to look at the reports looking for some patterns that would result in some business decisions, you can now have a smaller team training a model, the model would look for patterns on its own and then you just pay a few more people to validate the results. Look at UiPath, they grew a unicorn automating other people's stuff, before the advent of AI.
Like I said, most of what the AI does today has relatively low usefulness. But that will change in the future.
But its automation. This is nothing new. All you've added is that you can do more tasks but then you also need equally more people checking results. Its either automated and predictable, or its unpredictable and requires extra TLC.

That's why we're seeing the consumer breed of AI. The checking is done by ourselves, or by artists making their 'art'. Anywhere else, its just automation.

What's far more likely to me is that (and we already see this) AI will add new jobs because new possibilities are opened. You don't throw away your old bathwater that easily. Once those new possibilities have become predictable enough to be acting upon, you've really just automated something.

I love the examples that don't apply to even 1% of the population. It's funny that my psychology professor says the opposite, you are more productive in everything when you wake up early making your bed, and don't leave basic tasks to others. It also helps to develop humility.

In order not to deviate too much from the topic and irritate the moderators, I'll just say that in the real world, most people who pay much more for something than it's worth are not millionaires scraping by, they're ordinary people, with debts in the bank, living on rent. etc... I know the world I live in. Just open your eyes and look around, the world is full of people who are easily manipulated, whether by scammers or companies similar to scammers.

If there is no corruptor, there will not be a corrupt person.
If there is no drug addict, there will not be a drug dealer.
If there weren't people with empty minds, most politicians wouldn't be such trash.

:toast:
IT'S NOT ABOUT THE 1% THIS IS NOT A PRODUCT FOR CONSUMERS. THIS IS A PRODUCT FOR BILLION DOLLAR COMPANIES THAT SPEND BILLIONS THAT IT IS WHY IT IS AS GOOD AS IT IS AND THAT IS WHY THE PRICE.