• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Microsoft Streamlines App Downloads with Web-Based Microsoft Store Update

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
To enhance user experience, Microsoft has rolled out a significant update to the web version of its Microsoft Store, simplifying the process of downloading and installing applications. This move aims to minimize the number of steps required, making it more convenient for users to access their desired apps. Previously, the process of installing apps from the Microsoft Store website involved multiple steps, including navigating through deep-linked dialogues and mini-window popups before the actual download could commence. While this approach was implemented as a security measure to prevent malicious scripts from executing, it was deemed cumbersome by many users. With the introduction of the "undocked version" of the Microsoft Store, the app installation process has been streamlined. Users can now download an app for their Windows system with just two clicks.

The first click initiates the download of the app package, and the second click launches the application itself. Early feedback from testers and developers has been overwhelmingly positive, with reports indicating a 12% increase in app installations and a remarkable 54% surge in the number of applications launched after installation. This update not only improves the user experience but also holds the potential to boost app adoption and engagement on the Microsoft Store platform. While not all apps currently support this new lightweight installation process, with some still directing users to the dedicated Windows app or requiring additional downloads during installation, Microsoft is committed to expanding the availability of this feature across its app catalog. This update underscores Microsoft's ongoing efforts to enhance the efficiency and user-friendliness of its services.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
M$ came full circle, once upon a time Windows Update was also web-based.

System Name AlderLake / Laptop
Processor Intel i7 12700K P-Cores @ 5Ghz / Intel i3 7100U
Motherboard Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Master / HP 83A3 (U3E1)
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A 2 fans + Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut Extreme + 5 case fans / Fan
Memory 32GB DDR5 Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 6000MT/s CL36 / 8GB DDR4 HyperX CL13
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super Gaming X Trio / Intel HD620
Storage Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Evo 500GB + 850 Pro 512GB + 860 Evo 1TB x2 / Samsung 256GB M.2 SSD
Display(s) 23.8" Dell S2417DG 165Hz G-Sync 1440p / 14" 1080p IPS Glossy
Case Be quiet! Silent Base 600 - Window / HP Pavilion
Audio Device(s) Panasonic SA-PMX94 / Realtek onboard + B&O speaker system / Harman Kardon Go + Play / Logitech G533
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 750W / Powerbrick
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 2 Laser wireless / Logitech M330 wireless
Keyboard RAPOO E9270P Black 5GHz wireless / HP backlit
Software Windows 11 / Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 (Single Core) 1936 @ stock Cinebench R23 (Multi Core) 23006 @ stock
Old news...

However it's nice you don't need the "ms store" to download their apps anymore when you need something from ms..

Last edited:
System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
I never understood the point of the separate app. I figured it was a hangover from Microsoft's failed attempt to transition people away from Win32 API to UWP .appx installations, but they've really f***ing mangled it and made a total mess of things.

Most developers of serious software avoid UWP like the plague. These .exe installers appear to be Microsoft reverting to the tried-and-tested Win32 API variants for now. Unlike UWP they seem more platform-agnostic.

System Name The Little One
Processor i5-11320H @4.4GHZ
Motherboard AZW SEI
Cooling Fan w/heat pipes + side & rear vents
Memory 64GB Crucial DDR4-3200 (2x 32GB)
Video Card(s) Iris XE
Storage WD Black SN850X 4TB m.2, Seagate 2TB SSD + SN850 4TB x2 in an external enclosure
Display(s) 2x Samsung 43" & 2x 32"
Case Practically identical to a mac mini, just purrtier in slate blue, & with 3x usb ports on the front !
Audio Device(s) Yamaha ATS-1060 Bluetooth Soundbar & Subwoofer
Power Supply 65w brick
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2
Keyboard Logitech G613 mechanical wireless
Software Windows 10 pro 64 bit, with all the unnecessary background shitzu turned OFF !
Benchmark Scores PDQ
Now if they would just fix that damned "need internet for this" clusterfluke, maybe I could download some apps I want....

I AM online & signed into my M$ account too, how the hell else did I get the app to even work ?

Attachments

• MS  Store error.jpg
    MS Store error.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 20
System Name Best AMD Computer
Processor AMD 7900X3D
Motherboard Asus X670E E Strix
Cooling In Win SR36
Memory GSKILL DDR5 32GB 5200 30
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse 7900XT (Watercooled)
Storage Corsair MP 700, Seagate 530 2Tb, Adata SX8200 2TBx2, Kingston 2 TBx2, Micron 8 TB, WD AN 1500
Display(s) GIGABYTE FV43U
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Corsair Void Pro, Logitch Z523 5.1
Power Supply Deepcool 1000M
Mouse Logitech g7 gaming mouse
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 11 Pro 64 Steam. GOG, Uplay, Origin
Benchmark Scores Firestrike: 46183 Time Spy: 25121
More control

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
M$ came full circle, once upon a time Windows Update was also web-based.
My favorite time was back when I had a Surface 2, and you could ONLY get apps from the MS Store. There were times when it wouldn’t install anything. The unofficial “solution” was to delete an existing app—any app, mind you—which somehow fixed the broken install issue. To this day, I still have issues with the Store, and that’s to play the one game I foolishly purchased through it—Forza 7. I really love how it creates folders that you cannot take control of or delete, even after you’ve uninstalled it. Gotta format the drive to actually get rid of it.

System Name G-Station 1.17 FINAL
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X470 Aorus Gaming 7 Wi-Fi
Cooling DeepCool AK620 Digital
Memory Asgard Bragi DDR4-3600CL14 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse RX 7900 XTX
Storage 240GB Samsung 840 Evo, 1TB Asgard AN2, 2TB Hiksemi FUTURE-LITE, 320GB+1TB 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) Samsung 34" Odyssey OLED G8
Case Thermaltake Level 20 MT
Audio Device(s) Astro A40 TR + MixAmp
Power Supply Cougar GEX X2 1000W
Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Elite (Red)
Software Windows 11 Pro
My favorite time was back when I had a Surface 2, and you could ONLY get apps from the MS Store. There were times when it wouldn’t install anything. The unofficial “solution” was to delete an existing app—any app, mind you—which somehow fixed the broken install issue. To this day, I still have issues with the Store, and that’s to play the one game I foolishly purchased through it—Forza 7. I really love how it creates folders that you cannot take control of or delete, even after you’ve uninstalled it. Gotta format the drive to actually get rid of it.
Couldn't you use a live Linux distro to delete them folders?

System Name Budget Box
Processor Xeon E5-2667v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79 Pro
Cooling Some cheap tower cooler, I dunno
Memory 32GB 1866-DDR3 ECC
Video Card(s) XFX RX 5600XT
Storage WD NVME 1GB
Display(s) ASUS Pro Art 27"
Case Antec P7 Neo
Couldn't you use a live Linux distro to delete them folders?
Yeah, probably could. Just shouldn't be that way. I kinda get why when the app is installed, but it's locked even after you delete it.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
I never understood the point of the separate app.
It's easier for them to shove advertisements in a separate application versus a webpage which can be easily blocked or filtered out by an browser extension.

A separate store app probably makes users feel more comfortable in keeping their sessions open between uses which lowers barriers to payment. There's also the notion of apps included with devices which might be easier handled by a standalone application versus a web browser.

Also, web developers have to make the site compatible with multiple browsers. And even if Chromium is underneath the hood for most of them, that doesn't automatically make every Chromium-based browser behave the same/render exactly the same thing. There's the big can of worms that is different browser versions. Ask any web developer how much they like supporting Mozilla Firefox in 2024... (something like 2% of browser marketshare right now and declining).

There are probably 5-6 other factors that tip the scales to a standalone app versus a webpage.

Last edited:
Processor Core i7-12700k
Motherboard Z690 Aero G D4
Cooling Custom loop water, 3x 420 Rad
Video Card(s) RX 7900 XTX Phantom Gaming
Storage Plextor M10P 2TB
Display(s) InnoCN 27M2V
Case Thermaltake Level 20 XT
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster AE-5 Plus
Power Supply FSP Aurum PT 1200W
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
It's easier for them to shove advertisements in a separate application versus a webpage which can be easily blocked or filtered out by an browser extension.

A separate store app probably makes users feel more comfortable in keeping their sessions open between uses which lowers barriers to payment. There's also the notion of apps included with devices which might be easier handled by a standalone application versus a web browser.

Also, web developers have to make the site compatible with multiple browsers. And even if Chromium is underneath the hood for most of them, that doesn't automatically make every Chromium-based browser behave the same/render exactly the same thing. There's the big can of worms that is different browser versions. Ask any web developer how much they like supporting Mozilla Firefox in 2024... (something like 2% of browser marketshare right now and declining).

There are probably 5-6 other factors that tip the scales to a standalone app versus a webpage.
You're probably right, the cynic in me agrees that shoveling ads and pre-installed bloatware with kickbacks is a very likely reason it still exists.
I still can't see any benefit for the user, though ;)

System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
How far back are we talking about? Pre XP perhaps?
Windows 98/ME/2000 did it via internet explorer. XP did as well, in its original form. IIRC windows update as a separate app came with SP1. Of course, that was really a internet explorer backend, so really it wasnt until Vista.

System Name daily driver Mac mini M2 Pro
Processor Apple proprietary M2 Pro (6 p-cores, 4 e-cores)
Motherboard Apple proprietary
Cooling Apple proprietary
Memory Apple proprietary 16GB LPDDR5 unified memory
Video Card(s) Apple proprietary M2 Pro (16-core GPU)
Storage Apple proprietary onboard 512GB SSD + various external HDDs
Display(s) LG 27UL850W (4K@60Hz IPS)
Case Apple proprietary
Audio Device(s) Apple proprietary
Power Supply Apple proprietary
Mouse Apple Magic Trackpad 2
Keyboard Keychron K1 tenkeyless (Gateron Reds)
Software macOS Ventura 13.6 (with latest patches)
Benchmark Scores (My Windows daily driver is a Beelink Mini S12 Pro. I'm not interested in benchmarking.)
You're probably right, the cynic in me agrees that shoveling ads and pre-installed bloatware with kickbacks is a very likely reason it still exists.
I still can't see any benefit for the user, though ;)
When properly done, a standalone store application should be faster.

To use an analogy, a web browser basically sees everything as an empty lot with a foundation poured and some basic infrastructure (utilities, etc.). A standalone store application is basically the entire store minus the shelves and products. So when you click on the Amazon app on your smartphone, it mostly needs to just populate the shelves with products.

The Microsoft Store is pure garbage, just like most of their consumer facing efforts. It's an embarrassment to be honest. Shouldn't Windows users expect a content store as good as the competition's?

Example of someone who has figured this out? Apple. Their various store apps (Mac App Store, iOS App Store, iTunes Store, etc.) work great and have a long track record of excellent performance. The Mac App Store puts the Microsoft Store to utter shame.

On the PC side, Steam is another example of a company who has leveraged standalone app technology to the user's benefit. How good is library management on the Steam web store? Ever try to archive a game using the Steam web store? Update owned titles? Repair game assets? Ever try throttle downloads from a website? Resume interrupted downloads?

The list goes on and on how a standalone store application has many, many more functions than a web-only store. Amazon has realized this and has propagated more store functions in standalone apps (particularly on mobile platforms).

System Name Work Computer | Unfinished Computer
Processor Core i7-6700 | Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard Dell Q170 | Gigabyte Aorus Elite Wi-Fi
Cooling A fan? | Truly Custom Loop
Memory 4x4GB Crucial 2133 C17 | 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 C26
Video Card(s) Dell Radeon R7 450 | RTX 2080 Ti FE
Storage Crucial BX500 2TB | TBD
Display(s) 3x LG QHD 32" GSM5B96 | TBD
Case Dell | Heavily Modified Phanteks P400
Power Supply Dell TFX Non-standard | EVGA BQ 650W
Mouse Monster No-Name $7 Gaming Mouse| TBD
Broadly relavent XKCD:

1714504002548.png

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
meanwhile company teams needs to be installed with a .msix instead of a simple .exe

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
meanwhile company teams needs to be installed with a .msix instead of a simple .exe
Don't get me started on Teams(classic) and New Teams (work or school).
That's one of Microsoft's biggest blunders in a while. So many headaches and errors caused by that dumbass "optional" transition that should have simply been a mandatory upgrade of the original version.