• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Is it possible that the atmosphere is losing less of its "shield" capabilities due to more and more jets/rockets puncturing it daily?

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Just wondering what the science is on this, if this tiny object can make it through the atmosphere and not get burned up, is it possible scientists miscalculated something?

Or is it just this object was made of something that made it like prevent from burning up? Why would ISS use items that use this though when they know the dangers of it falling?

Last edited:

ir_cow

Staff member
Size, speed and angle of descent is the key. Material too I guess, but even a piece of wood could make it if going slow enough.

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
Inconel? damn that stuff is no joke

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Size, speed and angle of descent is the key. Material too I guess, but even a piece of wood could make it if going slow enough.

so the escalator/ladder sci-fi dream is possible? I had no idea. that's amazing. we should just build a ladder to the moon. :rockout: just go extra slow through the atmosphere... I had no idea you could bypass the "shield" in this way. heh. interesting.

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
Stuff burning when entering the atmosphere results from the heat generated by the compression of air and friction, since we aren't losing our atmosphere, I don't think we are losing any protection.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
AI vs my question of the day: long story short, I still don't have an answer, why is steel used to make rocket ships like Starship, but not Inconel? I guess its just not needed is my takeaway.

however this does answer my original question, Inconel, the item that fell from ISS, can resist insanely high temps. neat. I wonder why ISS uses this though if they know it can fall to Earth and hit people lol

Inconel and stainless steel are both remarkable materials, but their specific properties make them suitable for different applications in rocketry. Let’s delve into the reasons behind their usage:
  1. Stainless Steel:
    • Advantages:
      • Cost-Effective: Stainless steel is relatively inexpensive compared to specialized alloys.
      • High Thermal Conductivity: It efficiently dissipates heat.
      • Corrosion Resistance: Stainless steel resists rust and oxidation.
    • Challenges:
      • Strength: Stainless steel has lower tensile and yield strength compared to alloys like Inconel 718.
      • Temperature Limitations: At extremely high temperatures, stainless steel may lose strength and become less reliable.
    • Application:
      • SpaceX’s Starship: Elon Musk’s decision to use stainless steel for the Starship is groundbreaking. Its cost-effectiveness and ease of manufacturing are key factors.
  2. Inconel:
    • Advantages:
      • High-Temperature Performance: Inconel excels at elevated temperatures.
      • Oxidation and Corrosion Resistance: It withstands aggressive environments.
      • Creep Resistance: Ideal for sustained high-temperature applications.
    • Challenges:
      • Cost: Inconel is expensive.
      • Density: It’s denser than stainless steel.
    • Application:
      • Rocket Engines: Inconel 718 is commonly used in rocket nozzles and combustion chambers due to its robustness under extreme conditions 1.
In summary, while stainless steel offers advantages in terms of cost and thermal conductivity, Inconel’s superior high-temperature performance makes it a preferred choice for critical components in rocket engines. Each material serves a specific purpose, balancing trade-offs between strength, cost, and temperature resistance

System Name Gamey #1 / #2
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Core i7-9700F
Motherboard Asrock B450M P4 / Asrock B360M P4
Cooling IDCool SE-226-XT / CM Hyper 212
Memory 32GB 3200 CL16 / 32GB 2666 CL14
Video Card(s) PC 6800 XT / Soyo RTX 2060 Super
Storage 4TB Team MP34 / 512G Tosh RD400+2TB WD3Dblu
Display(s) LG 32GK650F 1440p 144Hz VA
Case Corsair 4000Air / CM N200
Audio Device(s) Dragonfly Black
Power Supply EVGA 650 G3 / Corsair CX550M
Mouse JSCO JNL-101k Noiseless
Keyboard Steelseries Apex 3 TKL
Software Win 10, Throttlestop
The atmosphere isn't a shield. Loads of things make it to the ground and it depends on many things including (as already mentioned) speed, angle, density, material type, probably other things. Rockets and jets are not 'puncturing' it at all as far more debris from space is raining down on the atmosphere all day every day for the last 4+ billion years compared to the few, slow entries and exits that the occasional rocket does.

If you're thinking "shield" you may instead wish to consider why Mars doesn't have much of an atmosphere or why the Moon has effectively none. That's because the Earth has a very good shield in the form of it's magnetic field, which Mars' is almost absent and the Moon's is long gone. It's the atmosphere itself which needs the shield from the Sun's solar wind. Without it the atmosphere will slowly be stripped away to nothing as it's scraped off bit by bit from the outside by the solar wind. Internal dynamos consisting of charged particles are a wonderful thing.

so the escalator/ladder sci-fi dream is possible? I had no idea. that's amazing. we should just build a ladder to the moon. :rockout: just go extra slow through the atmosphere... I had no idea you could bypass the "shield" in this way. heh. interesting.

I've always been suspicious of the space elevator as it's passing through weather and that should (in my mind) completely invalidate the seemingly delicate balance for them to work. I'd love to see an analysis of how this is taken into account.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
That makes sense yeah, I guess I was just thrown off as to how this was even possible to begin with regarding the ISS. I had no idea it could actually cause deaths on the ground. I feel like they should make those parts out of steel maybe? So it burns up on re-entry, and doesn't you know, smash into someone's house :D

might need replaced more often, but that's the price of science I suspect

That makes sense yeah, I guess I was just thrown off as to how this was even possible to begin with regarding the ISS. I had no idea it could actually cause deaths on the ground. I feel like they should make those parts out of steel maybe? So it burns up on re-entry, and doesn't you know, smash into someone's house :D

might need replaced more often, but that's the price of science I suspect

There was almost zero thought given to recovering or accounting for space debris hitting the ground until the past few years and likely there's nothing binding because of course space is a multinational endeavor. However the EU is proposing (maybe already has) some new rules about accounting for deorbiting first and second rocket stages and other "consumables" but I haven't kept up to see whether these are just recommendations or approaching the "rule" stage yet.

Space Lynx

Astronaut
There was almost zero thought given to recovering or accounting for space debris hitting the ground until the past few years and likely there's nothing binding because of course space is a multinational endeavor. However the EU is proposing (maybe already has) some new rules about accounting for deorbiting first and second rocket stages and other "consumables" but I haven't kept up to see whether these are just recommendations or approaching the "rule" stage yet.

that really surprises me, my high school woodshop projects made sure I had thought everything through on things, I assumed NASA would be held to the same standards lol ffs

Processor i5-9600K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X
Cooling Scythe Mugen 5S
Memory Micron Ballistix Sports LT 3000 8G*4
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070 XC3 Ultra Gaming
Storage Adata SX6000 Pro 512G, Kingston A2000 1T
Display(s) Gigabyte M32Q
Case Antec DF700 Flux
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Gold 650W
Mouse Razer Basilisk V2
Keyboard Ducky ONE 2 Horizon
It's unlikely that they haven't considered the debris could hit someone, but probably the chance of it hitting someone is so low compared the cost to prevent it.

Garyfrankfort

Just wondering what the science is on this, if this tiny object can make it through the atmosphere and not get burned up, is it possible scientists miscalculated something?

Or is it just this object was made of something that made it like prevent from burning up? Why would ISS use items that use this though when they know the dangers of it falling?

I think this was just an unfortunate situation, and we shouldn't stress about this. I don't think the government is so stupid that it will destroy the atmosphere or something

Space Lynx

Astronaut
I think this was just an unfortunate situation, and we shouldn't stress about this. I don't think the government is so stupid that it will destroy the atmosphere or something

I think you would be surprised to find how incompetent they actually are, for example the library system at the presidential level doesn't even have a catalog system. Your local library has a better way of keeping track of documents, etc.

Also, USA is 42 trillion in debt now, with 30+ years of unpaid wars. It will collapse eventually. The Treasury Secretary said inflation was going to go away after 6 months when it first started, I remember laughing and saying nope, he miscalculated... and well fast forward to today... and yep he miscalculated. lol how these guys make six figures is beyond me, but hey what do I know.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64

Unlikely. Way more things puncture it daily than manmade objects, we are a drop in the bucket there.

There may be a material argument, but some asteroids/comets/meteors are also solid some very unfriendly metals, so not sure I'd buy into that.

The atmosphere isn't a shield. Loads of things make it to the ground
I mean it sorta is. Lots of things don't make it too. The moon though is probably more of a shield than the athosphere honestly. It sucks a lot into its interesting gravity dance.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Unlikely. Way more things puncture it daily than manmade objects, we are a drop in the bucket there.

There may be a material argument, but some asteroids/comets/meteors are also solid some very unfriendly metals, so not sure I'd buy into that.

Could be a difference in punctures from inside out, where as meteors/asteroids are outside in. There are some things in physics that act kind of funny when the reverse happens, that being said this thread should really be locked, cause I agree with all of you... so... not sure why still getting posts here, just was something to think about was all.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Could be a difference in punctures from inside out, where as meteors/asteroids are outside in. There are some things in physics that act kind of funny when the reverse happens, that being said this thread should really be locked, cause I agree with all of you... so... not sure why still getting posts here, just was something to think about was all.
I suppose there could theoretically be, but without knowing more, I'm about as confident in that as "there theoretically could be a yeti in the Himalayas"

My astronomy background is mostly in n-body math for the Kopernicus project in KSP, I don't know much about atmospheric interference honestly.

Something to think about is never a bad thing!

I mean it sorta is. Lots of things don't make it too. The moon though is probably more of a shield than the athosphere honestly. It sucks a lot into its interesting gravity dance.

This is one of those things I wish I could see some math about. And in a bigger "unfortunately", math I could understand. Jupiter is frequently referred to shielding the inner solar system with its gravity in a similar fashion, but I always think of gravity deflecting an object in a random direction could just as well deflect something directly towards us.

But thinking of it in a static manner, if you put 2 large but different size masses in a field of very small objects (VSOs), you would except the larger mass's gravity to attract more things to it as its sphere of influence is larger. So over time the smaller of the 2 masses will be impacted by fewer VSOs than if there was an equal size or even missing second object there.

Awright maybe I answered it myself as I assume changing the VSOs (and large objects) to be orbiting in a system instead of static complicates the object tracking but doesn't materially change the effect of their gravity.

System Name Nebulon-B Mk. 4
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard MSi PRO B650M-A WiFi
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock 4
Memory 2x 24 GB Corsair Vengeance EXPO DDR5-6000
Video Card(s) Sapphire Pulse Radeon RX 7800 XT
Storage 2 TB Corsair MP600 GS, 2 TB Corsair MP600 R2, 4 + 8 TB Seagate Barracuda 3.5"
Display(s) Dell S3422DWG, 7" Waveshare touchscreen
Case Kolink Citadel Mesh black
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech MX Master 2S
Keyboard Logitech G413 SE
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 single-core: 1,800, multi-core: 18,000. Superposition 1080p Extreme: 9,900.

Objects entering the atmosphere burn up because of the heat resulting from the friction with the atmosphere. If the object is massive enough, it naturally won't have time to completely burn away before hitting the ground. It has nothing to do with any "shield capability" the atmosphere has.

Edit: It also depends on the entry angle of the object. If it is steep enough, it is possible for smaller objects not to burn up completely.

Last edited:

Space Lynx

Astronaut
Objects entering the atmosphere burn up because of the heat resulting from the friction with the atmosphere. If the object is massive enough, it naturally won't have time to completely burn away before hitting the ground. It has nothing to do with any "shield capability" the atmosphere has.

Edit: It also depends on the entry angle of the object. If it is steep enough, it is possible for smaller objects not to burn up completely.

yep... it was a metaphor...

System Name System V
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Prime X570-P
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212 // a bunch of 120 mm Xigmatek 1500 RPM fans (2 ins, 3 outs)
Memory 2x8GB Ballistix Sport LT 3200 MHz (BLS8G4D32AESCK.M8FE) (CL16-18-18-36)
Video Card(s) Gigabyte AORUS Radeon RX 580 8 GB
Storage SHFS37A240G / DT01ACA200 / WD20EZRX / MKNSSDTR256GB-3DL / LG BH16NS40 / ST10000VN0008
Display(s) LG 22MP55 IPS Display
Case NZXT Source 210
Audio Device(s) Logitech G430 Headset
Power Supply Corsair CX650M
Mouse Microsoft Trackball Optical 1.0
Keyboard HP Vectra VE keyboard (Part # D4950-63004)
Software Whatever build of Windows 11 is being served in Dev channel at the time.
Benchmark Scores Corona 1.3: 3120620 r/s Cinebench R20: 3355 FireStrike: 12490 TimeSpy: 4624
so the escalator/ladder sci-fi dream is possible?
As in an elevator/rope of some kind that goes all the way from the ground to, say, 400 km up in the air (or whatever distance you want) to some station or whatever that high up? I believe it was considered impossible or at least out of reach with current and near future technology due to weather elements (wind, rain, storms, etc.) disturbing it (plus the small chance of a piece of space junk traveling at hyper sonic speeds, hitting it like a missile and ruining it) and the materials' own properties being a factor (basically, it would be ripped apart due to too much strain or pulled back down by Earth's gravity for being too heavy, or maybe both things at the same time).

Example: A 1 cm thick (less than a half-inch), 400 kilometers long (Around 250 miles) aluminum cable would be almost 85 tons. Either it gets ripped apart because a given section of the cable wouldn't tolerate the strain of holding itself together, or gets pulled back down. I picked aluminum because it's the lightest metal that they have in this calculator, btw, I'm not sure aluminum could handle the strain anyway.
1713477259136.png

Thickening the cable has another problem: weight goes up fast. A foot-thick aluminum cable would be 315212 tons. You will have trouble getting that much of aluminum or whatever hypothetical material you'd want to use that could handle the strain. And that's definitely getting pulled back down to Earth fast (the ISS is just 500 tons, orbits at around 400-420 kilometers above the Earth and has an orbital decay of 2 kilometers per month, which is solved by periodically boosting the station's orbit, which according to wikipedia costs 7.5 tons of chemical fuel per year), if you don't have the rocket technology to carry so many tons around in a short time and set the whole thing up quickly enough, or if you don't bother boosting it often enough (not sure it's feasible either due to scale or just sheer fucking money it would cost)

So, definitely not happening soon unless some revolutionary engineering techniques and materials are developed.

System Name Storm Wrought | Blackwood (HTPC)
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x @stock | i7 2600k
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 Aorus Pro WIFI m-ITX | Some POS gigabyte board
Cooling Deepcool AK620, BQ shadow wings 3 High Spd, stock 180mm |BQ Shadow rock LP + 4x120mm Noctua redux
Memory G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x32GB 4000MHz | 2x4GB 2000MHz @1866
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6800XT Red Dragon | PNY a2000 6GB
Storage SX8200 Pro 1TB, 1TB KC3000, 850EVO 500GB, 2+8TB Seagate, LG Blu-ray | 120GB Sandisk SSD, 4TB WD red
Display(s) Samsung UJ590UDE 32" UHD monitor | LG CS 55" OLED
Case Silverstone TJ08B-E | Custom built wooden case (Aus native timbers)
Audio Device(s) Onboard, Sennheiser HD 599 cans / Logitech z163's | Edifier S2000 MKIII via toslink
Power Supply Corsair HX 750 | Corsair SF 450
Mouse Microsoft Pro Intellimouse| Some logitech one
Keyboard GMMK w/ Zelio V2 62g (78g for spacebar) tactile switches & Glorious black keycaps| Some logitech one
VR HMD HTC Vive
Software Win 10 Edu | Ubuntu 22.04
Benchmark Scores Look in the various benchmark threads
Considering some of the early heat shields used by space craft were made of wood, that is definitely possible.

System Name New compy
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800x3D
Motherboard MSI MPG x570S EDGE MAX WiFi
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S w. FHP141 + Xigmatek AOS XAF-F1451
Memory 32gb G.Skill Ripjaws V Samsung B-Die Dual Rank F4-4000C16D-32GVKA
Video Card(s) ASUS TUF GAMING RTX 4070ti
Storage 17tb (8+4tb WD Black HDD's, 2+2+0.5+0.5tb M.2 SSD Drives) + 16tb WD Red Pro backup drive
Display(s) Alienware AW2518H 24" 240hz, Sony X85K 43" 4k 120hz HDR TV
Case Thermaltake Core v71
Audio Device(s) iFi Nano Idsd Le, Creative T20 + T50, Sennheiser HD6Mix
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 1000w
Mouse Logitech G502 Hero custom w. G900 scroll wheel mod, Rival 3 + Rival 3 wireless, JLab Epic Mouse
Keyboard Corsair K68 RGB + K70 RGB + K57 RGB Wireless + Logitech G613
Software Win 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/s2y7ny
CFC's do more harm than a rocket launch. They dissipate upper atmosphere, there was a big hole in ozone from it in the 90's.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
CFC's do more harm than a rocket launch. They dissipate upper atmosphere, there was a big hole in ozone from it in the 90's.
It's still there actually, but because the globe got its ass together for once, its healing.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X