• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

EKWB - ideas for IMPROVING products and NEW products

I think it would be practical to have threads for manufacturers to visit and see the ideas of customers in one place.

I noticed, that these fittings: EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack STC 12/16 - Nickel, Product EAN: 3831109824375

have extremely sharp flanges inside, which do cut into the hoses. I am not sure if the term flange is correct, I am talking about this protrusion:

ek fitting.png

I do not think that cutting and disrupting the hoses is a good thing, depending on the material the cut could have a tendency to spread...

It was very difficult to remove the hose from this fitting, and when I finally managed to do that, the hose had often shaven off bits inside. The disrupted surface could seal worse, you need to remove the hose completely to wash the bits from the hose and then preferably cut the affected parts away.

I do not know if this sharp edge was a result of a manufacturing error, but if it was a design decision, it was a very bad decision...

Last edited:
Low quality post by Totally
System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
Abolishing the tax would do wonders.

System Name Not a thread ripper but pretty good.
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Motherboard ASRock X570 Taichi (revision 1.06, BIOS/UEFI version P5.50)
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Display(s) 2 x 4K LG 27UL600-W (and HUANUO Dual Monitor Mount)
Case Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic Black (original model)
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse Logitech M575
Keyboard Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2
Software Windows 10 Professional (64bit)
Benchmark Scores Typical for non-overclocked CPU.
Regarding their blocks/distroplates/reservoirs etc... I wish they would smooth out the internals of their ports for less turbulent flow. Get 1 distro plate and you suddenly have eight 90 degree angles in your loop but this isn't exclusively an EK problem.
Snag_251c7c15.png

I think it would be practical to have threads for manucaturers to visit and see the ideas of customers in one place.

I noticed, that these fittings: EK-Quantum Torque 6-Pack STC 12/16 - Nickel, Product EAN: 3831109824375

have extremely sharp flanges inside, which do cut into the hoses. I am not sure if the term flange is correct, I am talking about this protrusion:

View attachment 346808

I do not think that cutting and disrupting the hoses is a good thing, depending on the material the cut could have a tendency to spread...
My quantum torque fittings don't look like that and were never sharp. Are you sure you didn't get some kind of knockoff? In your image you are missing the flange at the base of the fitting. The part you are pointing out in your image is the barb not the flange.

1715350290126.png

Last edited:
System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I tried compression fittings for many years (EK and others), and ended up going back to old school barbs and zip ties because they are just more reliable.

Regarding their blocks/distroplates/reservoirs etc... I wish they would smooth out the internals of their ports for less turbulent flow.
I think that the flow rate in the loop is mostly determined by restrictive components as water blocks and radiators and how are they connected together. If you have everything in serie, the resulting restriction of these components probably makes any right angle fittings and other disruptions in water flow not relevant.

If somebody had parallel blocks, parallel cross flow radiators and thick hoses, these flow disruptions may become more relevant.

BTW this should be pretty easy to test, but I do not have enough water cooling components and also do not have a flow meter.

My quantum torque fittings don't look like that and were never sharp.
That was an illustration picture, I may try to photograph the fittings when I get home.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Cooling EK-Quantum Velocity, EK-Quantum Reflection PC-O11, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX360
Memory Micron DDR4-3200 ECC Unbuffered Memory (4 sticks, 128GB, 18ASF4G72AZ-3G2F1)
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon RX 5700 & EK-Quantum Vector Radeon RX 5700 +XT & Backplate
Storage Samsung 2TB 980 PRO 2TB Gen4x4 NVMe, 2 x Samsung 2TB 970 EVO Plus Gen3x4 NVMe, AMD Radeon RAMDisk
Mouse Logitech M575

View attachment 346808
The part you outlined in red is called a barb. Also make sure your tube inner diameter is correct for your barbed fittings. The barbs shouldn't cut into the tube. If they do return and get replacement.

The tube has correct dimensions. I cannot return the fittings anymore, only RMA them.

I think these fittings are genuine. When I realised that the fitting is not very clen, I tried polishing it with my T-shirt, new holes appeared.

ek1.JPG
ek2.JPG
ek3.jpg
ek4.jpg

It also scrapes my fingernail:

ek5.jpg

And cuts into hoses and shaves them:

ek6.jpg
ek7.jpg

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
The tube has correct dimensions. I cannot return it anymore, only RMA it.

I think these fittings are genuine. When I realised that the fitting is not very clen, I tried polishing it with my T-shirt, new holes appeared.

View attachment 346829
View attachment 346830
View attachment 346831
View attachment 346832

It also scrapes my fingernail:

View attachment 346833

And cuts into hoses and shaves them:

View attachment 346834
View attachment 346835
Well that looks like a shit pack. I would complain to EK support and see if you can get replacements. I only have a sample size of 6 or so packs of STC barbed fittings but none of them ever exhibited any problems as you describe. Bad manufacturing run I'd guess and you got the short straw.

Also you should know not to use a fitting with a broken barb.

other questions:
Did you use pliers on that barb? EK fittings are designed to use their allan key for tightening/loosening them but if you have the dexterity hand tightening them is enough. With the scuff marks it kinds looks like you took some pliers to them.

Last edited:
Bad manufacturing run I'd guess and you got the short straw.
Well, that fitting holds the hose well, it bites into it REALLY WELL. I wonder if this may have been a design decision, but as I said, not a good one.

If there were 3 barbs on the fittings tube, only the last one sharp and the first two normal, the cutting of the hose would not be a problem, because the hose would be reliably held in place with those first two barbs by undisturbed material.

But having only one barb which disrupts the hose is bad...

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Well, that fitting holds the hose well, it bites into it REALLY WELL. I wonder if this may have been a design decision, but as I said, not a good one.

If there were 3 barbs on the fittings tube, only the last one sharp, and the first two normal, the cutting of the hose would not be a problem, because the hose would be reliably held in place with those first two barbs by undisturbed material.

But having only one barb which disrupts the hose is bad...
It shouldn't have to bite into it at all. The barb should simply expand the inner dimensions of the tube to create a tight seal and make it a bit harder to pull off than it was to put it on. Then you secure the tube with a clamp, zip tie, or cap to prevent the tube from being popped off as over time the tube may relax a bit and conform to the barb lowering the amount of force it takes to remove the tube from the barbed fitting.

Last edited:
System Name The Dark side of the room
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X
Motherboard MSI MEG X570 Unify
Cooling Custom loop watercooling (Bykski CPU-XPR-POM-M-V2, Alphacool Eisblock GPX, Freezemod PU-PWM5B18W)
Memory GSkill Ripjaws V DDR4 3600 CL16 (4 x 16GB)
Video Card(s) XFX Speedster QICK 319 Radeon RX 6700 XT
Storage 1 x Kingston KC3000 1024GB + 2 x Kingston NV2 2TB
Display(s) LG 34WP65C Ultrawide 3440x1440 @ 160Hz freesync premium
Case Thermaltake Core P90 TG
Audio Device(s) onboard Realtek® ALC1220 with Logitech Z906
Power Supply MSI MAG A850GF 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Generic
Keyboard Trust Asta GTX 865
Software Windows 11 pro
Benchmark Scores It's a form of exhibitionism...;-), but fun Software programs just have to run nicely....
Regarding their blocks/distroplates/reservoirs etc... I wish they would smooth out the internals of their ports for less turbulent flow. Get 1 distro plate and you suddenly have eight 90 degree angles in your loop but this isn't exclusively an EK problem.
Snag_251c7c15.png
Despite the fact that is does not feel logical, in a (regular) pc cooling system there is hardly any turbulent flow because the pumps are just not strong enough. To reach a turbulent flow you'll have to get a high Reynolds number ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number ) which requires quite some energy converted in movement.
Fluid dynamics is quite a complex field of technology and requires a more than average knowledge of physics. In the situation you described you'll have disturbence of the laminair flow due to different variables but not a genuine turbulent flow.
It does however increase the dynamic resistance which results in a decrease of the flow and that is what we acutually observe.

In the waterblocks and the rads, you would actually want a turbulent flow to break through the barrier layer of the cooling liquid on the surface of the metal to increase heat conductivity.
In waterblocks the designers approximate this effect by the use of the jetplates.

Processor Ryzen 9 5950x
Mouse Logitech M575
Despite the fact that is does not feel logical, in a (regular) pc cooling system there is hardly any turbulent flow because the pumps are just not strong enough. To reach a turbulent flow you'll have to get a high Reynolds number ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reynolds_number ) which requires quite some energy converted in movement.
Fluid dynamics is quite a complex field of technology and requires a more than average knowledge of physics. In the situation you described you'll have disturbence of the laminair flow due to different variables but not a genuine turbulent flow.
It does however increase the dynamic resistance which results in a decrease of the flow and that is what we acutually observe.

In the waterblocks and the rads, you would actually want a turbulent flow to break through the barrier layer of the cooling liquid on the surface of the metal to increase heat conductivity.
In waterblocks the designers approximate this effect by the use of the jetplates.
Thanks! The chance to improve my understanding is much appreciated.

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
I tried compression fittings for many years (EK and others), and ended up going back to old school barbs and zip ties because they are just more reliable.
I am in the same boat. Just for the simple fact that I have all these old barbs from way back when.

For quite a long time, my benching loop was a tap to drain loop. No pump, no radiator. The hose clamps hold up to the the water pressure extremely well. Surprisingly well actually.

Occasionally have a leak, mostly from self user error not using the correct sized clamp, or not getting the clamps tight enough.

I'd imagine with a very low or no pressure water loop, compression fittings should work quite well. Have a few left from an old ThermalTake Big water loop I bought somewhere around 2007. Used a couple last year, had no problems.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5950x
Motherboard B550 PG Velocita
Cooling Water
Memory Ballistix
Video Card(s) RX 6900XT
Storage T-FORCE CARDEA A440 PRO
Display(s) Samsung UE590
Case QUBE 500
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z623
Power Supply LEADEX V 1KW
Mouse Cooler Master MM710
Keyboard Huntsman Elite
Software 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://hwbot.org/user/damric/
I am in the same boat. Just for the simple fact that I have all these old barbs from way back when.

For quite a long time, my benching loop was a tap to drain loop. No pump, no radiator. The hose clamps hold up to the the water pressure extremely well. Surprisingly well actually.

Occasionally have a leak, mostly from self user error not using the correct sized clamp, or not getting the clamps tight enough.

I'd imagine with a very low or no pressure water loop, compression fittings should work quite well. Have a few left from an old ThermalTake Big water loop I bought somewhere around 2007. Used a couple last year, had no problems.
My problem with the compression fittings is me yanking on the hose too hard and the outer ring just doesn't really hold the hose like it should. Maybe I shouldn't be carrying test benches around by the hoses, but never have that problem with barbs and zip ties :D

System Name I don't name my rig
Processor 13700K
Motherboard MSI Z690 D4
Cooling Air/water/DryIce
Memory Corsair 3600mhz something die cl18 at 4000mhz
Video Card(s) RX 6700 XT
Storage 980 Pro
Display(s) Some LED 1080P TV
Case Open bench
Audio Device(s) Some Old Sherwood stereo and old cabinet speakers
Power Supply Antec 850w Continous Power Series (since 2009)
Mouse Razor Mamba Tournament Edition
Keyboard Logitech G910
VR HMD Quest 2
Software Windows
Benchmark Scores Max Freq 13700K 6.7ghz DryIce. Max all time Freq FX-8300 7685mhz LN2
My problem with the compression fittings is me yanking on the hose too hard and the outer ring just doesn't really hold the hose like it should. Maybe I shouldn't be carrying test benches around by the hoses, but never have that problem with barbs and zip ties :D
Zip ties work, but I like doubling them up.

Funny, I thought I was the only one to pickup a bench rig by the hoses. XD